VERY IMPORTANT: No need to add Salt, Red chilli, Ginger, Garlic or anything else apart from the ingredients given below. Increase all quantities proportionally for serving more than 5 persons. Follow instructions given below as it is for best results.
Ingredients Required for 5 persons
|Lentils (Tuvar / Masoor)||250 gms / 8.8 oz|
|Cooking Oil||100 ml / 7 tablespoons|
|Green Chilies||3 Whole|
|Cilantro / Kothmir / Hara Dhanya||1 Small Bunch|
|Curry Leaves||5 / 6 Twigs|
|Mustard Seeds||3 gms / ½ Teaspoon|
|Ustad Banne Nawab’s Daal Fry Masala||1 Packet|
STEPS OF COOKING:
- Wash and drain lentils and pressure cook with one glass of water till 3 whistles only. Close stove and let cooker cool down.
- Mix entire Masala of Daal Fry pouch in 50 ml / Half teacup of water thoroughly and keep aside.
- Heat 100 ml oil in a wok (Kadhai).
- Add the mustard seeds and when they start popping add the onion and fry till it starts changing colour.
- Make some incisions in the green chillies and sauté them for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add curry leaves and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Dal fry masala paste and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the cooked lentils, mix well and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add 500 ml / two glasses of water, mix well and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce flame to lowest, cover the pot and let it simmer for about ten minutes or till desired thickness of Dal fry is achieved.
- Remove cover, mix well and close the stove.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves / kothmir / hara dhanya and serve hot.