VERY IMPORTANT: No need to add Salt, Garlic, Ginger, Red chilli or anything else apart from the ingredients given below. Increase all quantities proportionally for serving more than 6 persons. Follow instructions given below as it is for best results.
Ingredients required for 6 persons
|Meat with bones||750 gms / 1.65 lbs|
|Whole Wheat (Do not take Haleem Rawa, etc.)||250 gms / 8.80 oz|
|Cooking oil||Enough for deep frying onions|
|Onions – Finely diced||450 Gms/One lb/5 medium/Fried 5 Fistful|
|Green Chillies – Whole||15 to 20|
|Yogurt / Curd – Whipped thoroughly||100 Gms / 3.50 oz|
|Cilantro leaves/Kothmir/Hara Dhania||1 small bunch / 10 twigs|
|Mint leaves/Pudina||1 small bunch / 10 twigs|
|Ustad Banne Nawab’s Haleem Masala||One packet|
STEPS OF COOKING:
- Heat enough oil in a kadhai (Wok) and fry onions till golden brown and keep aside for garnishing at the end, before serving. Don’t use before.
- Remove ends of green chillies and make a paste of them in a grinder by adding one or two tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Thoroughly grind the whole wheat in a grinder and keep aside. (It is very important to take only Whole Wheat for grinding).
- Mix Haleem Masala with 75 ml / 5 Tablespoons water, into a fine paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker take 150 ml / 10 Tablespoons cooking oil left over after frying onions, 1500 ml / 6 glasses of water, entire meat with bones or Chicken, green chillies paste and mix thoroughly. Don’t mix anything else at this stage.
- Close lid of pressure cooker and cook on high flame till about 5 to 6 whistles, lower the flame and cook further for 45 minutes.
- Put off flame and let cooker cool down.
- Open lid of cooker and on high flame let the meat / chicken mixture come to a boil.
- Mix the grinded whole wheat powder in 500 ml / Two glasses of water thoroughly and slowly add it to the meat / chicken mixture in the cooker and on high flame cook the Wheat powder paste and meat mixture thoroughly for about 10 minutes, stirring continuously making sure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the cooker.
- Now slowly add the Haleem Masala paste, whipped Yogurt / curd, finely diced Cilantro/Kothmir/Hara dhanya and Mint leaves/Pudina in the above mixture and cook on high flame for about 10 minutes.
- Add 45 ml / 3 Tbsp oil and cook further for about 5 to 10 minutes or till the desired thickness of the Haleem is reached, stirring continuously making sure the Haleem does not stick to the bottom of the cooker.
- Close stove and Garnish with fried onions, Fresh lemons, Cilantro/Kothmir/Hara dhanya and Mint leaves/Pudina (and Ghee, Fried Cashewnuts – Optional) and serve hot.